In 2012, FSC launched the Smallholder Fund aiming to support projects that build capacity for Smallholders to gain and maintain FSC certification.
The fund helps Smallholders with preparing for FSC certification, compliance with FSC’s Principles and Criteria, investment in new machinery, enhancing supply chain management and improving market access for FSC-certified products.
The first round of the Smallholder Fund was resourced using a portion of the FSC Annual Accreditation Fee and distributed €420,000 worldwide, with approximately $90,000 CDN distributed in Canada and the United States.
We were very pleased to have 14 submissions for the Smallholder Fund from North America (9 from Canada and 5 from the US). The following 6 applicants were chosen to receive funding.
- Ecotrust Canada (Canada)
- Eastern Ontario Model Forest (Canada)
- Le Syndicat des producteurs de bois de la Gaspesie (Canada)
- Taan Forest Products (Canada)
- The Forest Partnership (USA)
- National Network of Forest Partners (USA)
- Center for Forest and Wood Certification (USA)