Tuesday, 19 May 2020
FSC Updates Related to COVID-19
FSC has made several announcements about changes due to COVID-19.
For Certification Bodies not able to safely conduct onsite audits, FSC has issued a derogation creating more flexibility in audit procedures, which is valid until December 31, 2020: Learn more.
For Group Certificates, FSC has issued an interpretation clarifying that internal audits of participating sites may be performed remotely in the case that health risk prevent traveling to the site: Learn more.
Use of Virgin Fibre in FSC Recycled Products Derogation Learn more
Derogation on Undertaking Main Chain of Custody Audits Remotely Learn more.
The FSC General Assembly will be postponed until 2021, following a decision by the FSC International Board of Directors to protect the health and safety of our members, staff, supporters, and others. The event will still be held in Bali, Indonesia, and the new date is forthcoming: Learn more.
FSC Canada’s Annual General meeting is cancelled, given the vast uncertainties related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the FSC Canada Board of Directors have decided to cancel FSC Canada’s Annual General Meeting. Members will vote on key motions electronically. Learn more.
If you have questions about any of these changes, please email info at ca.fsc point org
Curated COVID News
While there is no shortage of news related to COVID-19, the following articles offer direct relevance to businesses and the forest products industry:
Impact of COVID-19 on forest products and related industries
- Forestry businesses deemed ‘essential’ across provinces
- Rayonier Advanced Materials announced lumber and newsprint downtime
- Resolute Forest Products to adjust production capacity
- Canfor Northwood pulp pauses production at BC pulp mill
- American Institute of Architects issued analysis of how the economic slowdown will impact design and construction.
- Domtar announces temporary idling of paper capacity for three months
- Cariboo Pulp & Paper will be down for a month