Wednesday, 13 October 2021
2021 FSC Leadership Awards Winners Announced
Large and Diverse Set of Award Winners Demonstrate Enduring Commitment to Forest Conservation
Announcing our 2021 FSC North American Leadership Awards, recognizing uncommon excellence that advances responsible forest management and forest conservation.
FSC Leadership Awards celebrate forest owners, builders, architects, retailers, paper mills, manufacturers, environmental organizations and many others who contribute to the movement toward responsible sourcing and forest management. Winners of the 2021 FSC Leadership Awards are as follows:
- Del Fuerte, a brand of Grupo Herdez for being the first sponsor of the FSC Ecosystem Service Procedure in North America to ensure the forested watershed supplying water for their tomatoes is protected.
- Duke Forest Teaching and Research Laboratory at Duke University for 20 years of FSC certification to protect High Conservation Values and educate professionals.
- EcoTensil, Inc. for offering innovative cutlery to consumers and food retailers looking for a sustainable alternative to plastic cutlery.
- Michael Ferrucci for nearly 40 years of forestry leadership and deep expertise in FSC certification, driving positive outcomes in forests across four countries and 33 states.
- Finch Paper LLC for supporting responsible forest management since 1910 – and FSC certification since 2003 – in the “Jewel in the Crown” of the Adirondacks in New York.
- The Forestland Group for being the first Timber Investment Management Organization (TIMO) to earn FSC certification on its entire US portfolio of more than two million acres.
- GreenFirst Forest Products for maintaining FSC certification across nearly five million acres of complex landscapes in Ontario and Quebec for more than 15 years.
- Hemlock Printers for becoming the first FSC-certified printer in the Pacific Northwest in 2004 to raise awareness about the importance of intact forest biomes and biodiversity.
- Mattel for achieving at least 95 percent recycled or FSC-certified fiber and wood use across its entire portfolio of iconic toy products and packaging.
- Swanton Pacific Ranch at California Polytechnic State University for using their FSC-certified forest as a teaching tool for generations of forestry professionals.
- Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue for using FSC certification as a tool to teach ecosystem management in Quebec’s boreal mixed-wood forest.
- Wagner Forest Management, Ltd. for offering FSC certification to its clients across the eastern US and Canada and participating in more than 80 conservation initiatives.
- Yale Forests at The Forest School at Yale School of the Environment for 20 years of FSC certification at Yale-Myers Forest on lands they have stewarded for 100 years.
In addition, the following construction and building projects were awarded a 2021 FSC Leadership Award:
- Block Architects and Facing Homelessness for creating sustainable, affordable housing solutions in Seattle with the Block Project, using 90% FSC-certified wood.
- Crown Pointe Estates for using more than 90% FSC-certified wood and pursuing Zero Carbon certification in the luxury home Zero 1 at MariSol Malibu.
- Epsten Group, Inc. for using 100% FSC-certified cabinetry, booth seating and wall elements in their new headquarters in Atlanta.
- Mahlum Architects for using 100% FSC-certified wood in their office remodel, including structural lumber, nearly all of it sourced from within their home state of Oregon.
- Michigan State University, Granger Construction Company, Integrated Design Solutions, LLC, Ellenzweig, and Les Chantiers Chibougamau Ltee for using 99% FSC-certified wood in the 120,000-sqaure-foot, mass timber structure MSU STEM Teaching and Learning Facility as a demonstration of innovation and leadership.
- MSR Design and Distinctive Cabinet Design for earning FSC certification and using 100% FSC-certified millwork in the remodel of MSR Design’s office at 510 Marquette.
- Natural Resources Defense Council for using 100% FSC-certified wood in the remodel of its Washington, D.C. office and including FSC in design guidance to contractors.
- The Southern Alberta Institute of Technology’s Green Building Team, Woodpecker European Timber Framing, and the Molenaar Family for working tirelessly to source wood responsibly for a small, remote home pursuing Living Building Challenge certification.
- University of California San Diego and the Miller Hull Partnership for communicating the positive life cycle impacts of extensive FSC wood sourcing in the UCSD Center for Coastal Studies project.